Acupuncture at Wildlives
Many of the animals are now benefiting from the attentions of Lorena Lloret, a qualified vet and acupuncturist. After Charlie fox, featured in last month's newsletter, was unable to go to Cambridge for treatment due to a fire, Lorena stepped in and he is responding really well to treatment.
He now has a lot more flexibility in his joints and muscles, but only time will tell if the radial nerve is damaged beyond repair. Since starting acupuncture, he has also become a lot easier to handle, so he is now also receiving physiotherapy.
Another beneficiary of Lorena's attention is a little owl brought to the centre after a traffic accident in which he suffered a broken leg. The leg had healed, but the joint had been left swollen and he only had limited use of his talons.
Since starting treatment the swelling has decreased and he has much more mobility. Another little owl had a broken beak, and his whole jaw was out of alignment. Thanks to Lorena the jaw is now aligned and he can eat on his own. A collapsed pheasant, unable to stand on arrival, actually fell asleep during his acupuncture! If you would like to consult Lorena.
Speedy help for Saffron
A fox was brought in by the RSPCA completely collapsed.
As she was found in Saffron Walden, she was promptly named Saffron.
Rosie immediately recognised her unusual behaviour and she was immediately sent to the vet for blood tests, which confirmed Rosie's diagnosis of toxoplasmosis. With early recognition, Saffron is now making an excellent recovery.
Stargazing Owl
A tawny owl was brought in by the RSPCA, collapsed and with a broken wing. He was named Stargazer, due to his abnormal habit of staring skywards and then falling over on his back. As he was totally emaciated .
Rosie and the vet agreed that his condition was too poor to withstand surgery, and there was concern about the behaviour being attributable to head trauma. It was decided to hold off surgery, in case he turned out to have permanent brain damage. Fortunately three days later he was doing very well, and Rosie decided it was time for the vet's. An x-ray showed ¾ inch of the top (shoulder end) of his humerus was broken off, but as this was an old injury it had started to calcify. The vet managed to break the bone and pin it. Stargazer is currently making a brilliant recovery, and the pin is expected to be removed in two weeks.
Forced to close for admissions
Forced to close for admissions This year we have had an unprecedented number of admissions. In addition, several longstanding volunteers are going to be unable to continue to give as much time (especially Ruth, who has been working at Wildlives seven days a week, on average ten hours a day, but now is going back to university) and other volunteers are joining a mass exodus on holiday.
As a result the centre has regretfully been forced to close for admissions in order that the remaining volunteers and Rosie can concentrate on the many intensive care patients. We desperately need more volunteers; if you can give a regular commitment to a morning or afternoon a week (or more, of course, if you want) then you can gain the satisfaction of knowing that you are actively helping to save the lives of animals. During the crisis existing volunteers have rallied around and given extra time, but if the centre is to cope with the rising tide of animals in need, then your help is needed!
Cuckoo and Kestrel Plover
This female Cuckoo and male Kestrel were brought in having been found collapsed and starving.
Both were successfully released. When the Kestrel arrived he was half his body weight.
This newly hatched ringed plover was scalped by a dog. He is making a good recovery and will be released in next few days, when has gained enough weight
Newsletter editor:
All content © Wildlives Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre