Hedgehog rescued after strimming accident
A hedgehog was brought into Wildlives recently, having had its nose almost completely removed by a garden strimmer. Strimming accidents are one of the most common hedgehog injuries we encounter at Wildlives, although usually they involve
the hedgehog's head or legs.In this case, the injury had caused the cartilage of the nose to collapse, obstructing the hedgehog's breathing. Ana Lapaz, our veterinary surgeon, removed part of the cartilage to enable the hog to breathe more easily. A routine course of antibiotics ensured against the risk of infection, and the hedgehog made a complete recovery. It was released a couple of weeks later.
Talking of hedgehogs…
Time once again for Wildlives' annual reminder about bonfire night. Hedgehogs like to have somewhere warm to sleep during the day, and the pile of logs, branches, leaves and shrubbery that you call a bonfire, the hedgehog might be hoping to call 'home'. Please check bonfires before you set light to them, else you are liable to catch sleeping hedgehogs unawares. Fireworks are another problem. Domestic animals often react with terror to the noise caused by fireworks. Wild animals are much the same. Bear in mind therefore, that the fireworks that make no noise at all are the most animal friendly.
Thank You
We have recently been undergoing major work on some of our outside enclosures. Many people have been out fundraising to help pay for the work. Rosie would like to thank, in particular, Jackie, Liz, Pauline, Christine and Chris, Lisa, Sinead, Eoghan and John, Jennie and Mrs Kemble. Wildlives would also like to thank James White and Joe Hawkins who completed a sponsored run, from outside the Tesco at Greenstead roundabout to Wildlives. They have raised £484 so far!
Poisoned fox
The RSPCA brought a fox to the Centre in a collapsed state. Despite efforts to resuscitate him, he died shortly afterwards. There were no external injuries; he was in good condition and there seemed, at that point, to be no apparent reason for his death.
Later however, Ana, and volunteer Lucy from the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, performed a post mortem. What they found was a case of multi-organ failure: the lungs, stomach and small intestine were all congested with blood.
The post mortem report concluded that the most likely cause was poisoning. The DEFRA National Wildlife Management Team have now taken on the case.
Please note that there are no poisons which can be legally used on foxes. Furthermore, with regard to the poisoning of other animals, such as rats, the law requires that the poison be sufficiently protected to avoid the accidental poisoning of other birds and mammals.
Gull senses something is afoot Click for extra pics including close up of clam
The RSPCA also brought in a black-headed gull - with an unexpected companion. A clam had clamped onto the gull's toe, and the weight of it was such that the bird was unable to fly.
The clam was surgically detached - by amputating the toe - and the gull was put on a course of antibiotics. He recovered well from the ordeal, and both he and his clam were successfully [and separately] released.
Gannet
Readers may remember the story, in the September newsletter, of a gannet brought into Wildlives. The gannet's ring details were sent off to the British Trust for Ornithology. He was ringed at Bass Rock in Scotland, as a nestling, 17 years ago!
Newsletter Editor: Ruth
info@wildlives.org.uk
Home Extra Pictures
All content © Wildlives Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre